Wintermint Cake - Winter Solstice - Baked Occasions

This cake reminds me of a cake that I would often request for my birthday when I was younger. The one my parents made was much more simple, a chocolate box mix cake, a jar of chocolate fudge topping, and cool whip with creme de menthe for icing. So, I was very much looking forward to making this cake and seeing the difference.

The cake was a standard Baked chocolate cake and was wonderful. The icing was also the typical Baked icing recipe with peppermint flavoring, and I was worried about being able to make it since I so often have trouble with this recipe. This time was no exception, my icing was a bit grainy. Usually, I just let it go the way it is or I try chilling it, but that does not usually work. This time I attempted heating the icing briefly over simmering water and it worked beautifully. After this technique melted the solids I whipped the icing again and it was perfect. Now there are some other cakes, like the strawberry cake from May that I want to remake.

The cake was wonderful, moist chocolate crumb, with rich chocolate ganache and the creamy, soft buttercream. It was better than the cake I remembered and I was thrilled. The boys absolutely loved this cake too. They had it for snack three afternoons in a row and were sad when it was gone. This cake was requested for the next birthday of the Bear. This is certainly one of my favorite recipes from this book and most of the family agreed.

The recipe for these and thoughts from other bakers can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: timing not listed, My Actual Timing: I forgot to keep track.
Servings: Recipe States: 1 8 inch layer cake, Servings For My Family: 1 8 inch layer cake
Leftovers: Delicious for 3 days.


Family Ratings:
Me: Fantastic!
Hubby:
Big Man: Best cake ever!
Bear: I want this for my next birthday.
Mr. T: I want two pieces!

Will I repeat: Absolutely!

What will I change: I will not change a thing.

Comments