Election Palmiers - Election Day - Baked Occasions

So, I made these a week after the November elections this year, but it seems like there is so much campaigning lately it is always election time. This type of puff pastry dough is another one I have never made before, but have become interested in trying since watching The Great British Baking Show. It looks time consuming and finicky, but if done correctly can have great results.

I decided to make these on a day when I had plenty of time, so I would not have to shorten any of the chilling times. I wanted to be as accurate as posssible the first time I tried making this dough. The recipe was detailed and straightforward, it just took time. I think when I sliced them to bake I made them a little bit too thick. I had to bake them longer than expected to get the dough baked through and then the edges got too far done.

I could see the lamination in the layers though and that made me excited. They were more crisp than I expected, but I think that was from the extra baking time. The cinnamon flavor was nice and I think it would have been wonderful if it had been baked a few minutes shorter. I opted not to use the cayenne powder so my boys would try it. I would certainly make these again and just try to slice them more thinly.

The recipe for these and thoughts from other bakers can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: timing not listed, My Actual Timing: a day of mixing, folding, and chilling
Servings: Recipe States: 20-24 mini palmiers, Servings For My Family: 18 palmiers
Leftovers: Still good for 3 days after they were made.


Family Ratings:
Me: This recipe is a lot of hurry up and wait, but the waiting is worth it.
Hubby: He was out of town, but I think he would like these.
Big Man: He thought they were okay.
Bear: Too much cinnamon for him.
Mr. T: These were a new favorite for the little one.

Will I repeat: Yes.

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments

Popular Posts