Chocolate Pop Tarts with Peanut Butter and Jam Filling - Halloween - Baked Ocassions

Now it's actually Halloween and we just get to enjoy treats from last night. In my years growing up Pop Tarts were not an item that was kept around at my house. My parents just didn't buy them, and told us that they were not very good. Now that I have actually had them as an adult, I have to agree, they are not very good at all.

Pastry is something that I have made many times in the years so I am pretty confident with it. This recipe was a little bit different because it had you freeze the butter before putting it in the dough. This didn't work very well for me because it was more difficult to cut the butter into smaller pieces with the pastry cutter. I was a bit disappointed with how well I was able to incorporate it into the flour. After the dough rested it worked well for the crust.

The filling was not overly sweet with the semi-sweet chocolate and peanut butter. The jam helped to make it a bit sweeter. The icing was sweeter than I would generally like, however, it was a good compliment to the filling. When it was baked the pastry did flake, but not as much as I would have liked. I did enjoy these Pop Tarts much more than the processed kind. Another time I don't think that I would freeze the butter, hopefully then I could incorporate it into the dough better and get more flake. Otherwise the flavor of everything was good, and it was a fun, different dessert.

The recipe for these and thoughts from other bakers can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: timing not listed, My Actual Timing: 20 mins. dough making, 10 mins. filling, 7 mins. assembly, 24 mins. completing
Servings: Recipe States: 12 pop tarts, Servings For My Family: 5 pop tarts with a half batch
Leftovers:


Family Ratings:
Me: These are flakey, and the filling is not overly sweet. A fun treat!
Hubby:
Big Man: Not his favorite.
Bear: No peanut butter in the filling please.
Mr. T: He thought these were really great.

Will I repeat: Yes.

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments