National Peanut Butter Day - Apple Sandwich - 100 Days of Real Food



Confession time again, I REALLY like peanut butter. In a sandwich, on pancakes, on toast, in cookies, cake, frosting, with chocolate, and in this recipe. If there is peanut butter I am willing to try the recipe. So National Peanut Butter Day is a great one for me and my family to celebrate.

Confession number two, I have made this recipe many, many times. This may have been the first recipe I tried from this cookbook when I first purchased it. It couldn't be any easier and I always have the ingredients available in my house. It is two simple ingredients and my kids like both of them. This recipe is also very easily found on the blog as well as in the cookbook.

Confession number three, while I like trying new recipes and cooking for my family at dinner time, I do not enjoy making lunch. I want lunch to be quick, and easy, and just done! Leftovers are great for lunch and I try to do that whenever possible because it's easy, fast, and prevents food waste. There are many days when leftovers are frowned upon, however, and sometimes I push through and serve them anyway. Some days it is just not worth the fight, but then I have to find something new.

I also like my family to get variety in our diet, so I try not to serve the same thing too many times a week. So I can't serve peanut butter and jelly every day. This book has a whole section on lunch and it's wonderful and so helpful! So many quick and easy alternatives and many that I can even make ahead and keep in my freezer for those days that I have no idea what to serve and when we have had peanut butter and jelly one too many times this recipe is a wonderful alternative!

I do not have small cookie cutters and prefer not to lose too much of the apple, so I use a sharp paring knife to cut the seeds out of the apple slices.

Timing: Recipe States:  less than 10 minutes, My Actual Timing: it took me 7 minutes
Servings: Recipe States 2 sandwiches, Servings For My Family: 2-3 sandwiches
Leftovers: I have never had leftovers of these. I would not think they would be great the next day since the apple been cut.


Family Ratings:
Me: I think they are wonderful, but I really like peanut butter and apple together.
Hubby: He has never tried these since he is at work during lunch, and fruit is not his favorite thing unless it is in a pie.
Big Man: The oldest son thinks these are great and has asked for them by name. Unfortunately, he can not bring these to school since ours is nut free.
Bear: He will eat these and won't complain, so that is a big win. Although he would prefer a grilled cheese sandwich any day.
Mr. T: The youngest thinks these are wonderful too. The trick with him is getting him to eat the whole thing together instead of making it a deconstructed apple sandwich. Then he will lick the peanut butter off of each side like it was an Oreo cookie.

Will I repeat: I will absolutely make these again, and again, and again!

What will I change: I don't think there is anything to change with the recipe, so simple, so easy, so good!

Comments