Milk Chocolate Malted Brownies with Chocolate Ganache - Halloween/Beggar's Night - Baked Ocassions

So, in Des Moines, Iowa, and all the suburbs, we do not Trick-or-Treat on Halloween like every other part of the country. Instead a few decades ago the tradition was changed so that kids go out the night before Halloween and it is called Beggar's Night, this is supposed to curb vandalism. I don't know if it works, but the kids still get their candy. I am posting these brownies a day early in honor of Beggar's Night where we are, and also because it is my birthday today, that means I get first dibs on candy of the boys' buckets tonight! Also, for those not watching the weather, it is snowing in the Des Moines area today, for the SECOND time this week, so that's fun for Trick-or-Treating too!

These brownies are pretty standard easy to put together brownies. The one difference here is adding some malted milk powder. There were some bites where I could taste it and some where it was not overly evident to me. The boys did not seem to notice and very much enjoyed the brownies themselves. The older boys didn't mind the ganache topping on these, but Mr. T and I prefer a sweeter icing on our brownies.

I opted not to make the royal icing decoration when I made these brownies. I have enjoyed making fussy, intricate decorations many times in the past, but now I am finding that my time is more precious and I just prefer to have more simple decoration. Besides that, they still taste the same and that is the most important part.

Happy Beggar's Night!

The recipe for these brownies and thoughts from other bakers can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Recipe States: timing not listed, My Actual Timing: 19 mins. mixing, 30 mins. baking, 11 mins. icing
Servings: Recipe States: 36-48 mini brownies, Servings For My Family: 24 regular brownies
Leftovers: They were fresh for several days


Family Ratings:
Me: I enjoyed these brownies a lot. The ganache was not my favorite. I would top them differently.
Hubby:
Big Man: He ate most of the pan over a weeks time.
Bear: He thought these were great and ate several.
Mr. T: The little one was not a fan of the ganache, but ate a few brownies.

Will I repeat: Yes!

What will I change: I will try a different icing.

Comments