Individual Baked Alaskas with Vanilla and Coffee Ice Cream - Alaska Day - Baked Ocassions

I remember making baked Alaska's once before in high school home economics class. I remember thinking they were really delicious and wondering why they were not more popular than they were. Now, looking back on it, I think that it may have had to do with how presenting the dessert to a dinner party can look beautiful, but when it is served it does not look as nice. These individual desserts look much more impressive when they are served, as long as you don't put your fingers in the bottom of them like I did. Oops!

These desserts were actually pretty simple to make, they just have a lot of waiting time while the dessert is getting refrozen in the freezer. It makes sense though, otherwise all there would be is ice cream soup and soggy cake inside. I called an audible on the filling inside with this one. The recipe said that you could combine any type of cake and ice cream that you liked, so I used chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream, but used vanilla ice cream again in place of the coffee. I know it sounds crazy, but I just do not enjoy coffee as a flavor.

I made a small batch because I knew we wouldn't eat all these right away. It worked well to use leftover cupcakes from a birthday cake I had made. I love how these are almost like an ice cream sundae that gets made ahead of time. The ice cream was still solid in the middle, but the cake had started to thaw, and the meringue was crisp and warm on the outside and warm and fluffy on the inside. The combination of warm and cold in a dessert is something that I really enjoy, so this was a blissful treat. If only it was easier to have this ready to enjoy more often. Maybe I need to prepare them and store them in the freezer until I'm ready to enjoy one and bake them one at a time!

Thoughts from other bakers and the recipe can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: timing not listed, My Actual Timing: 28 minutes prep. time for the meringue, several hours freezing, 3 mins. baking
Servings: Recipe States: 12 individual desserts, Servings For My Family: 3 desserts, 1/4 recipe
Leftovers: These needed to be eaten immediately.


Family Ratings:
Me: These are like an ice cream sundae all in one. Fantastic!
Hubby:
Big Man:
Bear:
Mr. T:

Will I repeat: Yes!

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments