Frozen Swiss Chocolate Pie - Grandparent's Day - Baked Occasions

I'm a few days late posting, but this was really good pie!

Grandparents are so wonderful! I still have three of my grandparents living and it is such a blessing to know that they are still around. They have had a huge influence on my life even though I have not lived in the same state for much of my life. My faith has been strengthened so much by their guidance and I am grateful for it.

My grandparents really like pie too. In fact, I have learned about pie-making from my grandma too. Every year for Christmas and Thanksgiving my grandma Carmen made and brought all the pies for everyone. It was usually 4 or 5 pies for 8 people, but by the end of the long weekend, we generally had no pie left. Now I have started to become the pie maker since Grandma is older and can not see very well any longer.

The pie had some difficulties though. There were a lot of steps to making this pie and it made so many dishes! The chocolate mixture got pretty stiff while I was whipping up the egg whites and that made it very difficult to fold the egg whites in completely. Then the cream got folded in and it was still difficult to get it smooth. In the end the pie had some chocolate that had not gotten fully folded in, but it was still really good.

The pie is rich and creamy, and not overly sweet. The crust was crunchy, nutty, and sweet which is great to complement the less than sweet chocolate filling. The filling was so rich I felt that it needed to have the whipped cream on top of it to cut the richness. I've always found it funny that whipped cream seems to help lighten an overly rich dessert and this one needs it. It's a great dessert and I would certainly have it again, but I need a lot of people to share it with.

The recipe and thoughts from other baked can be found at Baked Sunday Morning here.

Timing: Recipe States: does not say, My Actual Timing:
Servings: Recipe States: 10-12 servings, Servings For My Family: 8 slices
Leftovers: This works for a long time out of the freezer.


Family Ratings:
Me: This is a really rich chocolatey pie and it is great with whipped cream. It is a bit to rich to have a good sized piece without cream o top.
Hubby:
Big Man:
Bear:
Mr. T:

Will I repeat: Yes.

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments