Nanaimo Ice Cream Bars - Canada Day - Baked Occasions

I have always lived in the northern part of the United States, but I have never been to Canada before. My in-laws go up to Canada every summer for fishing. I have never heard of a Nanaimo bar before either so I didn't have anything to compare these to. Ice cream is one of my favorite things though, so I was pretty sure that I would enjoy these. I did think the idea of salted caramel ice cream sounded like an amazing choice unfortunately caramel is not a flavor that my children enjoy so I opted for the vanilla ice cream instead.

This was an easy recipe to put together. It was a little bit time consuming just because there was freezing time between all the steps. Each step was easy enough to complete on its own though. I decided that I would use store bought ice cream instead of homemade this time. I have a brand from my local grocery store called Churned that we really like the homemade vanilla flavor.

I enjoyed the taste of this dessert very much. The chocolate on top was maybe a little bit thick and was hard to crack through neatly. The crust was a nice compliment to the ice cream. I very much enjoyed the little bites of ice cream bar and I think that it would be wonderful with caramel ice cream, if I could convince the boys to try it that way. The crust was chewy with a nice crunch from the walnut and pretzel pieces. The ice cream was cold and started to melt as well, and the chocolate on top was a nice crisp topping. It was a refreshing dessert for a hot summer day.

Timing: Recipe States: does not say, My Actual Timing: 51 minutes plus freezing time
Servings: Recipe States: 40 bars, Servings For My Family: 30 bars
Leftovers: Just as good from the freezer as leftover.


Family Ratings:
Me: These were delicious, but I think they would be even better with caramel ice cream.
Hubby:
Big Man:
Bear:
Mr. T:

Will I repeat: Yes!

What will I change: The vanilla ice cream was good, but I would like it with caramel ice cream.

Comments

Popular Posts