BAKED Sunday Mornings - Grasshopper Cake - BAKED: New Frontiers



When I saw this recipe coming up for Baked Sunday Mornings I was excited. It seemed very similar to a cake that I requested often as a child for my birthday. For the cake we made at home we simply made a box mix chocolate cake in a standard 9" by 13" cake pan. Once the cake was cooled we would pour a jar of warmed hot fudge ice cream topping over the top of the cake and then we would add several tablespoons of creme de menthe syrup to a container of cool whip, which was then spread on top of the cake. I have always thought that chocolate and mint were a wonderful combination. Until I was older though I did not realize the creme de menthe usually has alcohol in it. My parents always got a syrup in the baking aisle of our grocery store that was strickly neon green, minty syrup with no alcohol in it.

I was hoping that trying this cake would be reminiscent of my old favorite and for the most part it was. I am a big fan of the Baked recipes for three layer cakes. They are all fairly similar and make wonderful tasting cakes. This chocolate cake was no exception. The layer of ganache was very easy to make and spread on the cooled cake layers as well. The Baked buttercream icing and I have a varied relationship. When it works well for me it is wonderful and one of my favorite buttercreams. Even Hubby likes the Baked buttercream when it turns out right. Sometimes though, when I make it, it just doesn't come together correctly. In this case, I don't think I was patient enough to let the sugar, flour, milk and cream mixture cool down enough before I started to add the butter. When this happens the buttercream still has great flavor, but the texture is not quite what it should be.

Hubby and the boys still ate the cake and enjoyed it with no problem. Mr. T stated he wants this one for his next birthday and hopefully, I can deliver with better buttercream. For myself, I was a little bit disappointed that there was not more of a minty flavor to this cake. When I have the combination I prefer to have a bit more than just a hint of the mint. Overall it was a delicious cake and I would happily make it again for my family and next time be more patient with that buttercream.

If you want to see the recipe for this cake or see what others at Baked Sunday morning thought of it check it out here.


Comments