Rainbow Icebox Cake with Homemade Chocolate Cookies - Gay Pride - Baked Occasions

This recipe has always looked so appealing in the cookbook with the bright colors and chocolate wafer cookies. I also thought it would appeal to my children for those reasons as well. I looked at some of the reviews from other home cooks who thought it tasted like cookies and cream.

It was an awfully fussy recipe as well, having to mix each color of cream separately. Then stacking each layer as you went. Completing it took a couple of days too, first make the cream, then the cookies, make sure it is all cool, put it together, rest overnight in the fridge, and then top with the cream and sprinkles. It does look beautiful when it is completed and very fun too!

Unfortunately, we were all disappointed when we tasted the dessert. The creme fraiche that was included in the colored cream made it a bit tangy and that was not what we expected. I had hoped that it was just to stabilize the cream, but unfortunately, it changed the flavor as well.

The recipe and thoughts from other bakers are available at Baked Sunday Mornings here.


Timing: Recipe States: does not say, My Actual Timing: 1 hr. 46 mins.
Servings: Recipe States: 12-16 servings, Servings For My Family: probably about 20
Leftovers: It was fine the next two days.


Family Ratings:
Me: This was not my favorite. I would have liked it better without the creme fraiche.
Hubby: No thank you.
Big Man: He did not like the cream with the creme fraiche.
Bear: He took two bites and said he just wanted the plain cookies.
Mr. T: Mr. T told me liked the top and the cookies, but not the colored frosting.

Will I repeat: No.

What will I change: If I were to make it again, I would do it without the creme fraiche and maybe use some vanilla pudding mix instead.

Comments