Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake - National Chocolate Pudding Day - Baked Occasions

Oop, this is a couple days late. We were out of town on a family vacation and got back last night.

This is one of the oddest cake recipes I have ever made. There is a layer on the bottom of the pan that is similar to cake batter. Then sugar and cocoa powder is sprinkled on top of the batter and hot water is poured on top of this and the entire combination is then baked. It surprised me that it did bake up and look like a cake. I was able to slice it and the top was cake-like, but the bottom was more of a pudding that had to be scooped up.

It was an easy cake batter to mix up. There was no mixer involved at all. There were several steps to go through since there were so many layers to the cake, but each was simple. Then the cake baked and rested for a bit before being served. This would be a recipe that could be baked while eating dinner and then be ready to be served warm when done eating.

The cake was very rich and chocolatey. It was like a multiple serving lava cake. I thought that it certainly needed to be served with ice cream. This cake was not my favorite dessert. I like to lick the cake batter left on the spatula, and I like warm cake with ice cream. My opinion was that this cake was trying to be two different things and it didn't do either one well. It should have been either pudding or cake, but not both.

The recipe for this pudding cake and thoughts from other bakers can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: recipe does not say, My Actual Timing: 26 mins prep, 30 mins baking, half batch
Servings: Recipe States: 9-12 servings, Servings For My Family: 6 servings from a half batch
Leftovers: This is best served fresh.


Family Ratings:
Me: It was a fine dessert, but if I want cake I want it to be cake.
Hubby:
Big Man:
Bear:
Mr. T:

Will I repeat: Probably not.

What will I change: Nothing. It was good, just not a favorite.

Comments