Red Wine Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Glaze - National Wine Day - Baked Occasions

These cupcakes worked out so well I was thrilled! They were just a cupcake recipe and they worked just as they were supposed to. The ganache style of icing was so easy to make and put on that Mr. T, the four-year-old even helped out. I wondered if the red wine flavor would actually come through the chocolate. I was also wondering how my children would react with this being more of an adult flavored cupcake. The boys love cupcakes just like most children, but would the chocolate be enough for them to enjoy?

Not surprisingly when the boys saw the cupcakes initially they wanted to know what kind they were. They were also skeptical about what may be inside of them after making the Black Forest Cupcakes in March and finding the cherry filling there. I reassured them that there was no filling inside these cupcakes at all, what you see is what you get. That convinced them and they dug in with no hesitation. To my amazement, they ate every bite, the dark chocolate and less sugar did not slow them one bit. I was glad to see a recipe that we all enjoyed and agreed on, at least the dessert eaters in the house. Hubby and dark chocolate are not friends.

 The cupcakes were very much like other chocolate cake recipes from the Baked cookbooks, except that they use red wine where milk is usually used in the recipe as the liquid. It went together very easily and was moist. I could actually taste the red wine, but it was not overpowering. This is a very sophisticated, not overly sweet, dark chocolate cupcake. It would go wonderfully with a nice glass of wine.

The recipe and thoughts from other bakers are available at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: does not say, My Actual Timing: 32 mins. mixing, 23 mins. baking, 17 mins. icing
Servings: Recipe States: 18-20 cupcakes, Servings For My Family: 12 cupcakes with half a batch
Leftovers: Still very tasty the next day.


Family Ratings:
Me: These are dark chocolate cupcakes that are not very sweet. They are rich and the wine does come through. I would enjoy these with some red wine and girlfriends!
Hubby:
Big Man: These are great and I'm glad they don't have filling.
Bear: I love chocolate cupcakes Mom, when can we have these again?
Mr. T: No comment, his mouth was full of cupcake!

Will I repeat: Yes

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments