Derby Cookies - Kentucky Derby - Baked Occasions



We had never been big fans of horse races or paid any attention to them. Trying new cookies has never been a problem for us though. As I was looking over the recipe and getting ready to make these the recipe reminded me a lot of one of my favorites, Russian Teacakes. These are different because they are made with brown sugar instead of white sugar. I was looking forward to seeing how similar they are and what makes them different.

They were very easy to put together. Then I was surprised to put them in the freezer for a short bit before baking them. The recipe I usually use has the dough to be chilled for an hour, but I have never put them in the freezer. Bourbon is used in this recipe and in the sugar to go on top. Since I have three young boys I opted not to use the bourbon with the options in the notes to use more vanilla instead.

Even though it is a couple of days after the derby occurred these cookies are still quite delicious. I would be happy to eat these any afternoon with or without tea. A quick and simple recipe with wonderful results. This one is a keeper for sure, I might even get Hubby to try them too.

The recipe and thoughts from other bakers can be found on Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: recipe does not say, My Actual Timing: 51 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 36-40 cookies, Servings For My Family: 43 cookies
Leftovers:


Family Ratings:
Me: These are quite good, they are similar to Russian Teacakes with a more molasses flavor and a bit more crumbly.
Hubby:
Big Man:
Bear:
Mr. T:

Will I repeat: Yes

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments