Mega Easter Pie - Easter - Baked Ocassions

This recipe is one of the few savory recipes in the cookbook and I find they are a welcome break from all of the sweets. While I do fully enjoy the sweets it is fun to try other types of recipes as well. This is another recipe where I have not attempted something of this magnitude either. It reminds me of some of the raised pies that they make on one of my favorite shows, The Great British Baking Show.

The pie took quite a bit of time and effort, the crust was to be made ahead of time and chilled. The filling had many components as well, including five different kinds of cheese. I was glad to find some smoked mozzarella and the other cheeses as well to give it a true test. My greatest difficulty was with how much crust there was from the recipe. I should have trimmed more off and not used it all. Instead, I chose to roll it up and create a large edge of the crust.

I should have started baking the pie earlier than I did because we had to cut it after only half an hour of cooling instead of the recommended two hours, otherwise, we would have eaten dinner far too late. It was good when it was still warm, but it did not cut very nicely. We enjoyed the creamy, salty, meatiness of the pie. The rich, flakey crust was very flavorful as well.

The recipe and thoughts from other bakers on the Easter Pie can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: recipe does not state, My Actual Timing: 2 hours preparation, 1 hour baking
Servings: Recipe States: 10-12 servings, Servings For My Family: 12 servings
Leftovers: The leftovers were as good as the first serving.

Family Ratings:
Me: It was better than I expected it would be. It was meaty and cheesy without being overly salty.
Hubby: Hubby enjoyed this very much and thought that it was better as a leftover.
Big Man: He ate it, but did not enjoy it at all.
Bear: He requested that we never ever eat this again.
Mr. T: Mr. T chose not to finish his serving and was sent to bed early.

Will I repeat: Possibly.

What will I change: Nothing would need to be changed, but it could be good to add some vegetables.

Comments