St. Patrick's Drunk Bundt Cake - St. Patrick's Day - Baked Occasions


So I know that I was supposed to post about the Ides of March a couple of days ago, and I will. coming up. There were just too many desserts this week and one had to give, so I'm moving that one to mid-March instead of the exact middle of March. I consider mid-March anything after the 1st and before the 31st, so plenty of time.

Now, my family is not big into celebrating St. Patrick's Day. There is a parade downtown, but it's usually so cold here in Iowa that it's no fun to attend that and we are not big drinkers or Irish. We can enjoy cake though. I did make this one last year and was not a big fan then. That was because this cake is made with quite a bit of chocolate stout beer in the recipe and I made it as the recipe states last year. I do not like beer, any kind, and never have. So when I tasted this recipe as suggested the stout beer flavor was overwhelming and it did not taste good to me at all.

I was hoping that I could alter the cake to my taste and make it better. The main change that I made was to substitute whole milk in place of all the beer in the cake recipe. This improved the cake itself quite a bit and I also felt okay giving it to my kids. The other change that I made was to not use whiskey in the icing and to replace that with more Bailey's Irish Cream. I found that this was too much Irish cream in the icing, and another time I would use milk instead of the whiskey.

I think that overall I prefer my baked goods without alcohol added. I have found some that I do enjoy with it though so I will continue to try recipes that alcohol and perhaps I will find more. I was really glad that there were conferences at school this week and they needed volunteers to bring treats for the teachers. Most of this cake ended up at school for the teachers to enjoy as a snack. We all got to taste it and decided it wasn't a favorite for us.

The recipe and reviews from other bakers is available on Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: doesn't say, My Actual Timing: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 16 servings
                Servings For My Family: 28 servings
Leftovers: We had no leftovers.


Family Ratings:
Me: I was still disappointed with this one even with changes that I made.
Hubby: Chocolate is not his thing.
Big Man: He enjoyed one piece, but did not have more another day.
Bear: Not a hit for him.
Mr. T: He liked the cake, but not the icing which is very unusual.

Will I repeat: No.

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments