Kitchen-Sink Dutch Baby - Shrove Tuesday - Baked Occasions


Growing up a Lutheran girl in Iowa my family was much more likely to celebrate Shrove Tuesday than Mardi Gras. In my church, we even had Pancake Night, but they served aebleskivers instead of traditional pancakes. I don't have an aebleskivers pan or I might make some of those next year. Then we always went to Ash Wednesday service the next night.

I have not traditionally made pancakes for Shrove Tuesday with my family now, but the boys were sure excited this morning. The little ones came down and said, we smell something special! They were thrilled to see the pancake baking in the oven and especially seeing the chocolate chips on top. Then when I pulled it out and sprinkled the powdered sugar on top they went bananas! (pun intended)

So, I did make this last year, but had some issues with it because I do not have the pan size that is recommended. I have two cast irons skillet, but one it too large and the other too small. So today I opted to make a half batch of the recipe and use the smaller pan, since the boys did not like it last year and I didn't want to be left eating it all myself. It worked great that way, but I ended up not having enough for the boys' appetites. I did not serve it with syrup because there was already plenty of sugar and none of us are big fans of maple flavor. Next time I think I would make one and a half times the recipe and bake it in the bigger skillet with bananas in a portion of it, but not the whole thing.

I was very happy with the results this morning and will be making it again soon. The recipe and thoughts from other bakers can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Timing: Recipe States: doesn't say, My Actual Timing: 10 minutes prep, 15 minutes baking
Servings: Recipe States: 4 servings
                Servings For My Family: 4 small servings, with a half batch
Leftovers: Nothing was left


Family Ratings:
Me: This was quite good.
Hubby: Not home, not a pancake fan.
Big Man: Loved them.
Bear: Please no bananas and then they're great.
Mr. T: You didn't make it big enough, I need more!

Will I repeat:Absolutely!

What will I change: I wouldn't have to change anything, but I may put the bananas to one side of the pan so Bear could have some without the bananas.

Comments