Toffee Coffee Cake Surprise - Groundhog Day - Baked Occasions



Happy Groundhog Day! I have never heard anyone say that. Around here people are certainly hoping the groundhog does not see his shadow and winter is over. We do not need to go back to -19 anytime soon, and the school schedule has been crazy. This weekend it may get to 50 though, so we just laugh and say that's what you get living in Iowa. We survived the cold, now let's try some cake.

I was not sure about this recipe just after making the Dolly Parton Donut. I was thrilled with the last cake, but the filling was not my favorite. This is another bundt cake recipe with a filling, so I was concerned about doing another one right away. I have also never made toffee before. It turns out toffee is not too difficult to make and it went pretty well. The one difficult thing was that the chocolate topping didn't stick completely to the toffee. Also, I'm not totally sold on the ground almonds on top of the chocolate yet.

I struggled a little bit making the cake itself with the amount of filling the recipe made. I could not get the filling to stay in the middle of the cake batter and not go near the side of the pan, thus hiding the filling from the outside of the cake. When the cake came out I was relieved that the completed cake was similar in color to the filling and then when the sugar was sifted over the top it helped hide the filling layer. If you look for it specifically it can be seen, but I'm worried more about the overall taste than the inside layer showing up.

One thing that surprised me about this coffee cake too was that it did not have any cinnamon in it or a streusel topping. When I tasted it the flavors were similar to a coffee cake though. Perhaps a little more of a caramel flavor than cinnamon, but very tasty for a morning snack with tea in my case. I found the cake to also be a little more dense than the coffee cake I usually make, but it seems to be a normal style for a bundt cake. Overall I was very pleased with this coffee cake and I would make it again.

You can find the recipe at Baked Sunday Mornings and what other bakers thought about the cake here.


Timing: Recipe States: 1 bundt cake, 12-16 servings, My Actual Timing: 16 servings
Servings: Recipe States: doesn't say, Servings For My Family: 43 minutes for the toffee, 98 minutes for cake including baking
Leftovers: Delicious


Family Ratings:
Me: This is a tasty coffee cake and it was fairly easy to put together, I might buy the toffee next time though.
Hubby:
Big Man:
Bear:
Mr. T: "This is really good."

Will I repeat: Yes.

What will I change: I will buy the toffee next time instead of taking the time to make it.

Comments