Chinese Five-Spice Sesame Scones - Chinese New Year - Baked Occasions

In the middle of Iowa, there are not many Chinese New Year celebrations that are well-known. We do enjoy Chinese food quite a bit and make some of our own at home. I am familiar with five spice powder and had some at home. Scones are something I enjoy and have made a few times before, but not with much success. I thought these could be good since the five spice powder has a good flavor I can enjoy.

I was most worried about using too much liquid and working the dough too much. I don't know why I struggle with scones when I have spent my life making pie crust and biscuits that turn out well. I ended up using two tablespoons more milk than the recipe called for, but then I was able to get the dough to stay together. I also thought that I had worked it too much because I had to add milk. They turned out tender and crumbly though. These were some of the best scones I have ever made.

I was very happy with the texture of these. The flavor was good as well. My preference would have been just cinnamon instead, but this was good. Mr. T and I made them and had a little tea party together with the scones. It's so much fun that my boys have all gotten excited to have tea parties with me over the years. He had cocoa and I had tea, but we both enjoyed a scone.

The recipe can be found at Baked Sunday Mornings with thoughts from other bakers as well here.

Timing: Recipe States: does not say My Actual Timing: 25 min. prep, 20 min. bake
Servings: Recipe States: 8 servings
                Servings For My Family: 8 servings
Leftovers: Not great, the flavor was overpowering after 24 hours.


Family Ratings:
Me: These were surprisingly good.
Hubby:
Big Man:
Bear:
Mr. T: Mr. T claimed he liked it after the first bite, but after a couple more decided it wasn't his favorite.

Will I repeat: Probably not. Just not a family favorite.

What will I change: Nothing.

Comments