Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups - Delish


On Saturday nights Hubby and I attempt to cook together and try new recipes for date night. Sometimes we wait until after the kids go to bed, but sometimes we cook while they, hopefully, play nicely. This Saturday they did really well playing and we were able to cook together. I was also a very happy recipient of many new cookbooks for Christmas and we are going to work our way through the recipes that look good to us.

The book we decided to start with was Delish: Eat Like Every Day's the Weekend. I had never heard of this website before, but I discovered the cookbook while browsing Barnes and Noble for gift ideas to give my sister-in-law for myself. I am glad this was one of the cookbooks she got for me. You can find the website here and also a sneak peek at a few recipes, including the Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups above.

Hubby and I opted to try this recipe for our first out of this book because we are having unseasonably warm weather in Iowa right now and we were going to smoke meat for dinner on Saturday. We decided to add these as a side dish instead of an appetizer. Normally Hubby is not a fan of jalapeno poppers because the jalapenos themselves get soggy and he would like more texture, I thought this recipe might give him that desired texture.

It was quite easy to put together, but we were each able to take a couple of the tasks and put it together very quickly. We did serve them to our children as well and two boys ate them but requested that they never are served again. Hubby and I agreed that they were certainly edible and even quite tasty, but they were not a favorite of either of us and we would prefer to try some other recipes before repeating this one.

Timing: Recipe States: 30 minutes, My Actual Timing: 25 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 12 wonton cups, Servings For My Family: 12 wonton cups
Leftovers: The flavor was still fine, but the wonton cups were not crisp any longer.

Family Ratings:
Me: These are delicious and I prefer them over jalapeno poppers since they are a little less spicy, and I enjoyed the crunchy wontons.
Hubby: He enjoyed these much more than traditional jalapeno poppers as well, but they were a bit richer than he preferred to have often.
Big Man: He had a rough go in with a jalapeno on Christmas that was super spicy and was very gunshy about trying anything else with jalapeno in it. He did eat a whole one though, while making faces the whole time, and agreed they were less spicy than the jalapeno alone. He never wants another one of these wonton cups again, however.
Bear: He refused to try one, and since these were not the main part of dinner we allowed it.
Mr. T: He ate one, but decided to ate it out of the cup with a fork and then ate the cup itself. He didn't complain but requested not to have another.

Will I repeat: Probably not, but only because it wasn't a favorite.

What will I change: Not a thing.

Comments