Wild Mushroom-Cheddar Burger - Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries & Shakes


This burger is by far our favorite from this cookbook. We have made it many, many times for ourselves and to share with family and friends. The combination of flavors is perfect, a little bit spicy from the ketchup, the savory mushrooms, and the salty cheddar cheese all work wonderfully together. We enjoy this burger so much that sometimes we forget to try others in the book and see what other new favorites we might find.

The ketchup has the right amount of spice and this can be adjusted for personal preference. In fact, we alter the recipe a little bit here by using chipotle chili powder instead of the canned chipotles in adobo sauce. We find the powder is just easier to keep on hand and use. I get our chipotle chili powder at Penzey's spice shop and find many other spices for our pantry there as well.

Those mushrooms are savory and delicious, and mushrooms happen to be one of Hubby's and my favorite toppings. In this case, shallots get added to the mushrooms which makes them seem decadent when they are put on the burger. We never have leftover mushrooms because Hubby and I pile them on our burgers. The boys do not want any, but Hubby and I still use a full 8-ounce box of mushrooms and manage to get them all eaten. I keep waiting for there to be some leftovers so that I can mix them with scrambled eggs the next morning, but thus far it has not happened.

Timing: Recipe States: didn't say, My Actual Timing: 45 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 4 servings, Servings For My Family: I make enough for 5 servings.
Leftovers: We never have leftover burgers in this house.


Family Ratings:
Me: A perfect burger!
Hubby: He wants to get more mushrooms.
Big Man: Just plain ketchup, please.
Bear: Just plain ketchup here too.
Mr. T: He will take the cheese and some plain ketchup.

Will I repeat: Absolutely!

What will I change: Nothing!

Comments