Pistachio Cherry Biscotti - Baked: New Frontiers In Baking - Baked Sunday Mornings


Normally I am not a fan of biscotti. I grew up eating soft, chewy cookies and that is the way I prefer them to be with very few exceptions. I have also never been a fan of coffee, which I hear is a good thing to help enjoy biscotti. Dipping the biscotti in coffee to soften it before trying to eat it would certainly help prevent tooth loss from the very crisp biscotti I have experienced in the past. I suppose I should try it with tea sometime, but this somehow does not seem like the correct beverage to drink with biscotti.

I do very much enjoy dried cherries and pistachios though, so the combination of the two got me excited to attempt another biscotti. I have to say that this biscotti is the first one I could eat an entire piece of and somewhat enjoy. It was still not something I would choose if given other options for dessert, but I didn't feel like I would lose a tooth with this one. I made a half batch of this recipe because I wasn't sure what my family would think and I didn't want to have to throw it all away.

I think possibly when I was making just half a recipe that perhaps I did not spread out the dough enough when I baked it and perhaps it was not as crisp as was intended by the recipe authors. In any case, I was much happier with a slightly softer product. It still had a very crisp edge, but the middle had just a little give which was nice. The combination of cherries and pistachios was wonderful just as I had hoped. The cherries are a nice break from the crisp biscotti as well, they add a chewy sweetness to the cookie. I would personally would have enjoyed more pistachios being included in the recipe because I noticed a few of them, but many of them got lost in the crispness of the cookie.

The biscotti dough itself I found to be a little over sweetened. This also may be improved when being dipped into a warm, bitter beverage. I suppose all this means that I must either decide to start enjoying coffee, or maybe it's just time to be finished trying to enjoy biscotti. If you would like to see what the other Baked Sunday Morning bakers thought or try the recipe for yourself head over http://bakedsundaymornings.com/2018/06/08/in-the-oven-pistachio-cherry-biscotti/here to check it all out.

Comments