Philadelphia Burger - Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, & Shakes


Tonight we had the Philadelphia Burger for dinner, the recipe can be found on Food Network's website here. This burger is based on the Philly cheesesteak sandwich and has wonderful toppings. The cheese that is used on this burger is provolone instead of Velveeta that is on some cheesesteaks. We are very happy with this choice by Bobby because the processed taste of Velveeta is not one that we enjoy.

Another element on this burger that we have started doing a lot lately is caramelized onions. I took a bit of liberty when making mine and didn't completely follow Bobby's recipe. He states that the onions should only cook for about 20 minutes. I put mine in a pan with olive oil on very low heat for about an hour to caramelize mine. Carmalized onions are a wonderful addition to grilled and smoked meats and burgers.

The roasted red peppers were an appropriate topping for this burger, however, the flavor got lost with the overpowering onions and the pickled hot pepper rings. I did not put very many pepper rings on my burger, but just a few were enough to get the taste. I feel that too many more of them would have taken over the flavor of all the other toppings. I was very happy with this burger and enjoyed it a lot. Hubby thought that it needed some kind of sauce to enhance the flavors. The boys went with their usual just ketchup, please. We did tell the boys they had to give the caramelized onions a try tonight, so they each managed to choke down two pieces with much complaining.


Timing: Recipe States: doesn't say, My Actual Timing: 1 hr, 10 minutes, much of this was inactive time while the onions were caramelizing
Servings: Recipe States: 4 servings, Servings For My Family: 5 servings
Leftovers: none


Family Ratings:
Me: I enjoyed this burger, I would just be careful about how much of the pickled pepper rings I put on the burger.
Hubby: Hubby enjoyed the burger, but he was interested in having an additional sauce added to the burger. We just need to figure out what the flavor was that he wants to add.
Big Man: Just ketchup.
Bear: Just ketchup.
Mr. T: Just ketchup.

Will I repeat: Probably

What will I change: I may try to come up with a sauce to add for Hubby.

Comments