Oatmeal Knots


Yesterday we had wonderful weather, and Hubby made some smoked meat for dinner. We had a slow, relaxing day at home, which was so nice after a busy week. I was running short on grocery budget money for the week so I didn't pick up anything for a side dish with the smoked meats this week. I was able to easily throw together a salad with the lettuce and parsley from the garden and added some extra vegetables from the fridge. Then I thought about making potatoes for everyone, but the boys had breakfast potatoes for breakfast. So I decided to use some pantry ingredients and make rolls.

We have had these oatmeal knots before, but not for a long time. I am always surprised when I have these as to how soft the texture is with these rolls when they use more than half whole wheat flour. They are sweetened with a little honey and have some flax seed inside. There is a little crunch from the sesame seeds and poppy seeds on top. These are fabulous rolls with healthy grains.

These rolls are a fairly simple yeast bread recipe that I got from Cooking Light magazine several years ago. Since we were spending the afternoon at home to monitor the smoker, it was easy to take a few minutes and start the roll dough, let it rise, and then shape the rolls into knots. They do not take long to bake and then the oven was heated up when we were ready to finish roasting the meat in the oven. It was a great side dish and easy to put together with items that are usually stocked in my pantry. If you want to give them a try the recipe can be found here.

Timing: Recipe States: It doesn't give a time., My Actual Timing: Half an hour active time, 1 1/2 hours rising time, and 20 minutes baking time.
Servings: Recipe States: 24 rolls, Servings For My Family: 24 rolls
Leftovers: They are best the same day, but very good the next day too.


Family Ratings:
Me: I think these rolls are a great addition to any meal.
Hubby: He likes the flavors for these when he is interested in eating bread.
Big Man: Big Man thought the rolls were great and would have kept eating them if we let him.
Bear: He ate as many as he could.
Mr. T: He also liked the rolls and wanted more.

Will I repeat: Yes.

What will I change: Not a thing.

Comments