Hot Potato Chips - Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries & Shakes



I have never made my own potato chips before. I have only ever eaten the store bought chips from the bag. I thought it would be fun to attempt making my own, but only because we happen to own a mandoline-style slicer. I think it would be very difficult to get potato slice thin enough for this process if I did not have one of these fabulous kitchen tools. It made the slicing so fast, easy, and very uniform.

When I started I did not peel the potatoes because most of the time I do not peel them. I just wash the skin really well and cook the potatoes with the skin still on them. Then the recipe did not say to soak the potatoes in a water bath before frying them, but all the instructions for the french fries did say that. I opted to soak the chips because I had time to do it. I dried them well before I fried them. I am not sure if this had any affect on the chips or not since I have never fried my own before.

I heated the oil in a pan on the stove to fry the chips after they had been soaked and dried. It took longer than I thought it would to fry the chips. Since they are cut so thinly I thought it would be a shorter time, but it ended up taking about 5 minutes per side to fry these chips. They do truly need to brown up on each side before removing them to drain or they will not be crispy, but instead a greasy and floppy mess. They also needed a very good salting to make sure they had enough flavor. Again, I was surprised by how much salt they needed to give the chips a good flavor.

Once they were done, they were salty, crispy and greasy just like a good potato chip should be. They were more time consuming and messy than opening up a bag of chips from the store, and they were probably even more expensive, although I did not do an actual cost comparison. The taste was much more fresh than a chip you would get from a bag. I don't think I would make these on a regular basis because I don't think the effort makes up for a slightly better flavor. It was definitely fun to try it once, and I feel like it was a success.

Timing: Recipe States: didn't say, My Actual Timing: 5 minutes slicing, 2 hours soaking, 30 minutes frying all the chips
Servings: Recipe States: 8, Servings For My Family: 4, but I used half the chips that were suggested
Leftovers: none


Family Ratings:
Me: I thought they were very tasty as long as I had fried them long enough.
Hubby: He was very impressed and said he would like these every time we had potato chips if they weren't so time consuming.
Big Man: He enjoyed them and asked for a couple servings.
Bear: He refused to eat them, but did have one at our insistence and refused any more.
Mr. T: He thought they were great and would have eaten as many as we would have given to him.

Will I repeat: Possibly if I have a lot of extra time.

What will I change: Nothing.

I did see in the recipe online that if you don't have enough time to make your own chips that Bobby Flay recommends taking store-bought chips and heating them in the oven. For the recipe to try making your own chips and the sauce that Bobby recommends with them head here to Food Network. We did not make the sauce because we are not big fans of blue cheese and there was already plenty of good flavor from the. Let me know if you try the chips or sauce and what you think.

Comments