Brown Sugar Shortcakes with Strawberries and Whipped Cream - Baked Occasions


This past weekend the strawberry patch near us opened up for pick-your-own berries. This is something that I have done with the boys and my mom for the last couple of summers and all the boys had asked to do it again this year. It was on our summer bucket list and I was watching for when the strawberries were ready. Saturday was the first day they opened and we were all ready and headed out that first morning. There were plenty of beautiful red strawberries hiding under the leaves of the strawberry plants. Mom and I were very into finding the berries and filling up our boxes. The boys were excited to get out in the rows and find their first couple of strawberries. After that, they decided it was too much work and too hot and they much preferred buying their strawberries at the store. We kept them successfully out there until we had two almost full boxes of strawberries, about eight pounds.

Everyone was much more excited to eat the strawberries than they were picking them. That afternoon I made these Brown Sugar Shortcakes and Whipped Cream to enjoy with some of our fresh strawberries. The recipe and other bakers opinions from Baked Sunday Mornings can be found here. This recipe was included to celebrate Flag Day with red strawberries, white cream, and blue blueberries. I only used strawberries because we had picked so many of them at the patch that morning. I have made many other shortcakes before, but never any with brown sugar. I thought these were phenomenal and I don't think I will ever make another shortcake recipe again.

I did run into a little bit of trouble when I was baking these shortcakes. I checked on them and they still needed a little more time, but then I got distracted by children for a little bit too long. They were a little more brown than I would have liked and a little bit drier than they would have been. I still enjoyed them very much and the little hint of molasses from the brown sugar was wonderful. They were still flakey like a biscuit should be. I am anxious to try making these again and not get distracted again. They could only be better if I had not overbaked them.

One step that was new to me in this recipe was putting the biscuits in the freezer before baking them. I'm sure that this helps with the flakiness and making sure the butter is well chilled. These are fairly simple and quick to make. This is a wonderful take on a  classic dessert with fresh strawberries and we all enjoyed it!

Timing: Recipe States: a time was not listed, My Actual Timing: 28 mins. prep, 15 mins. baking
Servings: Recipe States: 6 servings, Servings For My Family: I got 9 shortcakes out of the recipe.
Leftovers: The shortcakes were good for four days.


Family Ratings:
Me: This was a great take on strawberry shortcake and I loved the brown sugar.
Hubby: Hubby is not a fan of desserts and fruit is also not a favorite. He did not try these.
Big Man: He thought they were great.
Bear: He prefers the strawberries and cream, but he did enjoy a few bites of the shortcake.
Mr. T: The little one did not say anything, but he liked his plate clean.

Will I repeat: Yes!

What will I change: I will watch the shortcakes better at the end of the baking time.

Comments