Breakfast Burger - Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries & Shakes


Hubby has always enjoyed putting a fried egg on top of many dishes, like burgers and steaks. He thinks that bacon is a great addition to his food as well. The Breakfast Burger in Burgers, Fries & Shakes helps him eat these things he enjoys together with shoestring fries and, in our case, cheddar cheese. I was happy to see that Bobby added the chipotle ketchup to this burger since I really enjoy that condiment and prefer my burgers with ketchup. Hubby opted for no ketchup in this case since he does not like tomatoes or ketchup with his breakfast food. I, myself, opted for no bacon since I am not a bacon eater in almost every instance.

I was once again excited to try making these homemade fries that are included on top of this burger. I had never made shoestring fries before. I was so very grateful to have our mandoline slicer for this application. We have a blade option that cuts the individual fries into 1/8" and I used that to cut all the potato strips. It made the cutting job so easy. If I didn't have the mandoline I'm not sure I would have attempted making these myself, it would have been a very long tedious process. Thankfully, we do have the mandoline so I gave it a try.

These fries were so small I didn't think that I would have to cook them for very long to get them nice and crispy. I was so wrong, it took longer than I thought for each batch of fries, and I should have started earlier because I was still frying when the burgers were done. So we chose to eat and I got up every few minutes to tend to the remaining fries. Another time, I think I would put fewer fries in the oil for each batch. That may speed up the frying time for each batch, but there would also be more batches to fry.

In the end, Hubby couldn't keep his hands off the fries. He was tending the burgers on the grill outside. I really enjoy when we tag team on grilling nights. We get to cook together and spend time in the kitchen, focusing on completing a task together, it's very satisfying. Hubby would come in from checking the grill and snag a fistful of the fries every time he passed. I think he would have eaten the whole batch.

We decided to use cheddar cheese on our burgers this time instead of the American recommended in the recipe. After our last experience, it will be a long time before we choose to use American cheese again. Hubby grilled the burgers, cooked the bacon, and fried the eggs while I worked on the shoestring fries and chipotle ketchup. The boys were around the house somewhere, doing something, and it all worked out great! It's a miracle when that happens at their current ages.

Overall we thought these burgers are great and will certainly make them again. Hubby didn't want the optional ketchup, I made the bacon optional, and the boys ate their burger components in a deconstructed manner, but enjoyed all the pieces. Hubby says he would now like the shoestring fries on all his burgers in the future, and next time he will not cook the eggs quite so long because ours ended up being cooked all the way through. Ideally, we would prefer to have the eggs be a little soft and create a sauce for the burger.  The flavors were great together and it certainly felt like eating breakfast on a burger. We will make these again soon with our slight modifications.

You can find the recipe here, give them a try and let me know what you think!

Timing: Recipe States: no time given, My Actual Timing: 1 hour, more than you think for the fries
Servings: Recipe States: 4, Servings For My Family: 6
Leftovers: None


Family Ratings:
Me: These are great, and I would do them again. I would just start the fries a bit earlier.
Hubby: He thought they were fabulous and wants the fries on every burger!
Big Man: Big Man had all the components of this burger, but it was deconstructed. He couldn't get enough of the fries either.
Bear: All he wanted was his plain burger with ketchup and all the bacon he could eat on the side.
Mr. T: He enjoyed his bacon and fries and didn't want much of anything else.

Will I repeat: Yes.

What will I change: I would cook the eggs a little less so they are a little soft.

Comments