BAKED Sunday Mornings - Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie - BAKED: New Frontiers In Baking


This pie was the next recipe made by the group at Baked Sunday Mornings and it's so fun to see what everyone thinks of the BAKED boys recipes. I thought this pie was a fun one to make. I made the crust on Friday and froze it overnight to finish making the pie on Saturday afternoon. It made it a lot easier to make the crust the night before since Hubby and I were running the last Dam to Dam 20K race in Des Moines on Saturday morning. Then it easy to prep the filling and bake the pie in the afternoon to have ready for a dessert for the family.

This is not a pie I have run across before and I have made a lot of pies. My family has been making pies from scratch for years and it has now become more of my job at holidays instead of my grandma since she does not see very well anymore. I have never had a chocolate chip cookie pie before and thought this one would be fun for the boys to try since they all like chocolate chip cookies. I did make one alteration to the recipe since I was serving it to my young children. I substituted vanilla flavoring in place of the whiskey.

My favorite part of this recipe is the crust. I think this is a wonderful pie crust recipe and very easy to put together. I use a pastry blender to mix the crust instead of a food processor, mainly because we do not have one. This recipe is only different from the one I generally use because it adds sugar, and it works for a dessert pie like this. I would not use this crust recipe for a savory pie, however, it would be too sweet.

I enjoyed the filling of the pie too. It is pretty rich, so no one needs a very big piece and it is wonderful with ice cream on top. When the pie is warmed up it tastes like a gooey chocolate chip cookie inside a flaky pie crust. It is a very good combination especially with the cold ice cream on top of the heated pie.



Timing: Recipe States:  doesn't say, My Actual Timing: 20 minutes making crust, 17 minutes making the filling
Servings: Recipe States: 1 pie, Servings For My Family: 1 pie
Leftovers: The leftovers were great for several days.


Family Ratings:
Me: I enjoyed the pie very much, I just had to have a small piece.
Hubby: Chocolate chip cookies are not one Hubby would choose so he passed on this one.
Big Man: He just wanted the ice cream and not the pie.
Bear: Bear was very excited to try the pie and surprised me because he does not usually like traditional pie crust. He really enjoyed this pie, but also wanted a small piece because of the richness.
Mr. T: The little one thought it was great and wanted to finish his brothers' pieces.

Will I repeat: Probably.

What will I change: I will keep the change of whiskey to vanilla flavoring since whiskey is not something we keep in the house.

If you want to try the recipe for yourself or see what the other bakers thought check it out at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments