National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day - Old-School Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies - BAKED Occasions


Today is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and I think it's a wonderful day to celebrate. Chocolate chip cookies have long been a favorite of mine and my family growing up. We almost always had a batch of chocolate chip cookies available for snacking. It is also one of the first recipes I remember being allowed to help my mom making, and then being able to try making it by myself.

I always enjoy trying new versions of an old recipe too. This version of chocolate chip cookies surprised me with some ingredients that I had never seen in chocolate chip cookies before like heavy cream and bourbon. Another thing that surprised me about this recipe was that it recommended chilling the dough overnight before baking it, and I do not remember seeing an instruction to chill chocolate chip cookie dough before. I decided to follow the recipe as closely as possible, except for the bourbon. This is not something that anyone in my family drinks and I was not interested in a buying a bottle to use a very small amount in a cookie recipe. I did add a little bit extra vanilla so that this amount of liquid ingredients would not be upset.

Everything mixed together nicely and the batter smelled great as I mixed it with the addition of cinnamon. Then I chilled it overnight as suggested. It was a little difficult to scoop the dough because it was so hard, but I was able to get it separated and onto the baking sheets. I felt like my cookies took a little longer than the recommended 11-13 minutes to bake, but they came out very nicely and taste great. They have a nice chewy texture and a bite from the oatmeal. There is just a hint of the cinnamon coming through for warmth, but it does not overpower the chocolate like I think can sometimes happen.

These cookies are very popular with my boys now too. They have been picking them for their afternoon snack ever since they were put in the cookie jar. This recipe is certainly worth repeating again, and not just to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.

It's been a year since the BAKED Sunday Morning bakers tackled this recipe, but you can see their results and the recipe itself here.

Comments