Crunchburger - Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries & Shakes



The Crunchburger recipe is also called the "Signature Burger" in this cookbook. That meant we had to give it a try. The burger patty itself is very simple and cooked with salt and pepper, and most of the toppings are traditional as well. It is suggested to use American cheese, red onion, tomato slices and romaine lettuce. The two things that make this burger unique are the sauce and adding potato chips on the burger.

The sauce is a horseradish mustard mayonnaise and I was very interested to try it since I am a big mustard fan. I am also a fan of potato chips, who isn't, so I had no problem with adding them to a burger. I have often put potato chips on my hot dogs since I was a child anyway. Normally I like to have ketchup on my burgers as well, so I wondered how it would be no including it this time.

It took me a little longer to make the recipe than it states on the Food Network website where you can find the recipe if you want to try it for yourself. It took me longer because I had to wait for our grill to heat up before cooking the burgers.



I planned this recipe for dinner tonight and then Hubby sent me a message from work saying we needed to pack dinner to take with us to a local pond so he could take us all fishing. The boys spent the evening throwing rocks into the water and Hubby attempted to catch some crappies. It was a beautiful perfect night and the grill heated up our burgers right on the shore. It was a wonderful evening and we enjoyed the burgers quite a bit too.

The boys ended up eating their burgers plain without any toppings. Hubby and I tried them just as the recipe suggested and enjoyed them, but felt there were a couple of things we would change. We do not eat much American cheese and so for us, this made the burger taste a little extra greasy. For me, it made me want more tomato or add some ketchup to have some acidity added and cut the grease. We enjoyed the horseradish mustard mayonnaise because the burger needed a sauce on it, but we have enjoyed other mustard types of sauces more than this one.

In the future, we would continue to put potato chips on our burgers, but we would choose to use a different type of cheese and mustard. It is a good burger, but there are many others in this book that we enjoy more than this particular recipe.

Timing: Recipe States: 25 minutes, My Actual Timing: 35 minutes
Servings: Recipe States:  4 servings, Servings For My Family: 5 servings, but a couple were small burgers for the boys
Leftovers: There were no leftovers.


Family Ratings:
Me: This is a good burger, but not my favorite. I will try chips on my burgers more often based on this recipe.
Hubby: Hubby enjoys a traditional burger like this, but he much prefers cheddar cheese instead of American and a more traditional mustard flavor.
Big Man: He likes his burgers with ketchup and no other additions.
Bear: He likes burgers plain or with ketchup.
Mr. T: The youngest likes his burgers with cheese and ketchup. He enjoyed the American cheese on his burger.

Will I repeat: We will probably not repeat this recipe exactly as written, but we will make plenty of other burgers.

What will I change: I would adjust the type of cheese that is used and the mustard sauce.

Give this one a try and let me know what you think!

Comments