BAKED Sunday Mornings - Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits - BAKED: New Frontiers




I have made biscuits many times and I was excited to have a fairly quick recipe in the rotation this week. It didn't bother me that this was a savory instead of a sweet recipe. I have made biscuits numerous times, so that method of baking is not intimidating to me. I have not made very adventurous biscuits before however. I have never added cheese or spices, so I was interested to see how these would turn out.

There were very easy to put together. It took me about twenty minutes to mix up the dough, and part of this was because I had to grate my cheddar cheese. Once the dough was mixed I scooped the dough onto a cookie sheet to bake it. I ended up with one dozen biscuits and they spread out more than I expected on the sheet, so they were fairly large. Another time, I think I would make them smaller and aim for about two dozen biscuits.

I baked them for twenty minutes and they were done beautifully. The biscuits had spread out since this is a drop biscuit recipe, but they also rose well. The smell was wonderful from the cheddar cheese and the added chipotle powder. I had to try one warm,  but I am a big fan of warm bread and baked goods in most cases. I served them with scrambled eggs and some spinach salad as an easy lunch for my family.

The chipotle powder added great warmth to the biscuit flavor and some spice too. I really enjoyed it and did not feel that the amount of chipotle powder was too much. I had no problem tasting and enjoying my other food, as I have sometimes found when we use chipotle powder in a chili recipe. I thought the cheddar cheese was very good too. It added a nice flavor and a few pieces at the edge of the biscuit were pleasantly crunchy.

I thought with the heat and smokiness in the biscuit as well as the cheese that these are perfect to put an egg inside and turn into an easy breakfast sandwich. There is no need for bacon or sausage with the chipotle powder because the powder gives some of those flavors in their place. These certainly would not replace a regular biscuit, but they are worth making as a regular part of recipe rotation.

For the recipe and to see what other bakers thought head to Baked Sunday Mornings here.

Comments