Winter Greens Pizza - Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals


Since it is spring break this week we have some extra time at home and I thought we could make homemade pizza since it's a family favorite. Our crust recipe makes enough for two pizzas so one of them I made our regular recipe and the other I made the Winter Greens Pizza from Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals. I used spinach as the green for this recipe because it is a common flavor in our house. Bear always says that spinach is his favorite vegetable, and based on the way he eats it I have to agree with him.

I did change the recipe by using my own pizza crust recipe instead of buying a premade crust from the store. Otherwise, I stuck to the recipe as it was written. The first time I try a recipe I like to try it as the author feels like it is best and then after that, alter the recipe to best fit my own tastes and those of my family.

The recipe was quick and easy to follow just like the others in this book so far. The ingredients were easy to find in the grocery store as well. It took very little time to cook the greens and get them ready to go on top of the pizza. It was a little bit difficult to evenly spread the ricotta cheese sauce over the crust. Then distributing the greens and the cheese was easy and a quick bake and the pizza was done.

The boys did not react well to seeing this pizza, they all declared that they did not want the "Spinach Pizza." They all had a very small piece that was required to be eaten before they could have a piece of the regular supreme pizza they preferred. They all got it down and quickly requested the next piece of pizza covered in pepperonis. Hubby had a couple pieces of this Winter Greens Pizza and I had one piece as well. It was fine, but we both felt it was lacking something. We had a couple of thoughts, one was that the sauce needed a little more salt and that the sauce did not need to be put on quite so heavily. We also felt that perhaps this pizza could benefit from a little bit of sweetness like a drizzle of honey on top.

Timing: Recipe States: 30 minutes, My Actual Timing: 30 minutes, with 2 hours to prepare crust
Servings: Recipe States: 2 servings, Servings For My Family: 3 servings
Leftovers:


Family Ratings:
Me: I thought this was a good start to a pizza, but it needed something more to be complete.
Hubby: Hubby wanted less sauce that was more flavorful, which is a common feeling for him with pizza.
Big Man: He did not want to try the pizza, but decided that is was okay after he tasted it. He did not go back for another slice.
Bear: He ate his tiny piece so fast I had to watch to make sure he didn't choke, then he declared he did not like this pizza and needed a piece with pepperoni.
Mr. T: Mr. T decided he was going to be stubborn tonight and told us he would not eat any of the "Spinach Pizza." He was told that he would then be going to bed and eating it for breakfast. Since he knew this was true after his experience with the Greek Dinner Salad last week he decided to take the few bites and be done with it. In the end, he was not a fan.

Will I repeat: I might repeat this recipe with a few alterations.

What will I change: I would add some more salt to the sauce and try to spread it more thinly for Hubby. Then after the pizza was done baking I would drizzle it with honey before serving to add a little sweetness. I might also cook a few red pepper flakes in with the spinach for a little bit of heat.

Comments