Vernal Equinox - Light and Lemony Jelly Roll with Raspberry Cream Filling - BAKED Occasions



I have never made a jelly roll before, but since I watched The Great British Baking Show on Netflix it has been something I wanted to give a try. This one has flavors that I enjoy together so I gave it a try. This has such bright springy flavors that it is great for celebrating the Vernal Equinox even if it doesn't feel like spring outside yet.

I followed the recipe as closely as possible, but I used frozen raspberries instead of fresh. I was thrilled with how well the recipe came together. The instructions were easy to follow and well written. The timings listed were accurate and everything turned out so well. I was mildly disappointed with having a crack on the top of my roll, but this only happened because I don't think I put enough powdered sugar on the towel to keep the cake from sticking. I also thought that I could have used parchment paper instead of the towel and that may help prevent sticking.


The first taste of the dessert did not disappoint either. The fluffy, airy cake was great and the cream filling was lightly flavored with raspberry. It was not too sweet, but just sweet enough. The roll held up well for a few days while we had it around too without getting soggy. This would be a wonderful Easter dessert in a couple weeks.

Timing: Recipe States: not listed, My Actual Timing: 1 hour, 39 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 12-16 pieces, Servings For My Family
Leftovers: It tasted great for the three days we had it around.


Will I repeat: Yes.

What will I change: I might add a few more whole raspberries before I roll it up, and be more careful to prevent the roll from sticking to the towel as it cools.

Comments