Thai It, You'll Like It Chicken - Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals


I wanted to try another recipe from the Indian and Asian Take-out section of this cookbook since we have made the Cashew Chicken so regularly and enjoyed it for so many years. I was hoping that since we enjoyed the first one so much that perhaps we could find another family favorite. The boys were certainly excited when they saw the Jasmin rice again. Bear's first comment at dinner was, "I want a big serving of rice and make sure that other stuff doesn't touch it."

Now normally when I try a new recipe I attempt to follow it as close as possible, but there are a few ingredients that I will abstain from using due to our dislike of some specific flavors. Cilantro is a big one for us, but not in this recipe. In this recipe, the ingredient that I omitted was the Thai fish sauce. We have used it previously in a recipe and for us, that flavor ruined the previous dish. Otherwise, all the other ingredients are things our family enjoys.

This was quick and easy for me to put together which is always nice. Another time I think I would need to add another piece of chicken to have leftovers for Hubby the next day at work. When we tasted it we felt that it was good, but it was a bit too sweet. I believe that this is because of the fact that I left out the fish sauce. I didn't read the note on the recipe until after I had made the recipe that it recommended using soy sauce in place of the fish sauce. I think this would have balanced out the sweetness and made the recipe much better.

Timing: Recipe States: 30 minutes, My Actual Timing: 26 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 4 servings, Servings For My Family: 5 servings, but I should have made more rice for the boys
Leftovers: None


Family Ratings:
Me: It was a fun recipe to try, but I need to balance the flavors better using the soy sauce.
Hubby: He just felt it was too sweet.
Big Man: He wanted to have a much larger serving of rice.
Bear: Bear wanted me to cook twice as much rice.
Mr. T: He wanted more chicken and rice.

Will I repeat: Possibly.

What will I change: I would add soy sauce instead of the fish sauce as the note under the recipe suggested.

Comments