St. Patrick's Day - Chocolate Stout Cake - BAKED Occasions



This cake uses three different types of Irish alcohol in the recipe, stout beer, whiskey, and Baily's Irish cream. I am not generally a fan of beer or whiskey, so I was very skeptical of this recipe and if I would like it in the end. It's too bad that I don't like beer too because Hubby has been brewing his own beer for as long as we have been married. Every time he makes a new batch he wants me to taste it and see what I think, and to this day I still have yet to find one that I like. He is also disappointed that I don't like beer because I have actually chugged them in under 30 seconds before.

Now, why is a girl who doesn't like beer chugging them you ask? Well for many women the yeast used in beer production and that is left when it is bottled, especially in stout beers, helps with breast milk production, and with two of the boys, I had times when my production was low and I wanted to increase it. So I attempted drinking a beer to increase my supply and for me, it worked really well. Since I do not like beer and stouts have a very heavy flavor I would drink them as quickly as I could to be done and taste it as little as possible. Hubby decided to time me and apparently, it was quite impressive. This was one of the great sacrifices I have made for my boys.

Anyway back to the cake, it was a different recipe because I didn't need a mixer to put it together. The ingredients, like butter and chocolate, were cooked and melted on the stove and then stirred together by hand before being poured into the pan to bake. It came together really quickly and was easy to do. I was worried after I had everything mixed together though because it smelled very distinctly of beer. I was hoping this would reduce after being baked. Then working on the icing was quick and easy too. This one needed a mixer, but there were very few ingredients. The icing called for the whiskey and Irish cream, but since we do not drink whiskey I opted to use Irish cream in place of the whiskey. I was surprised at how thick the icing was because it was supposed to be drizzled over this bundt cake, but it did not drizzle. Instead, I had to spread it over the top with my spatula.

The cake had a very good texture and was moist. The icing too was a very nice consistency and not overly sweet. I just was not a fan of the alcohol content. I could taste the beer in the cake and the alcohol taste in the icing was overpowering so that it was not pleasant. For me, this is not a dessert that I enjoy eating.

Timing: Recipe States: it does not include timing, My Actual Timing: 36 minutes prep time, 45 minutes baking time, 10 minutes to make icing
Servings: Recipe States: 12 to 16 servings, Servings For My Family: 16 to 20
Leftovers: We did not eat the leftovers.

Will I repeat: No.

What will I change: I will not make this recipe again.

Comments