Spaghetti Carbonara: Pasta with Bacon and Eggs - Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals


So here is a huge confession for you all, are you ready, it will blow your minds! How do I know this? Because whenever I make this statement people gasp and ask, "Really?!?!?" So here it is:

I DON'T LIKE BACON!

Alright, it's out there. I really don't like bacon, except once a year to have a piece on a BLT sandwich that is mostly large slices of fresh garden tomatoes and then the bacon is really only there for the saltiness. But I digress.

Hubby and all the boys REALLY do like bacon, and in the past Hubby has really enjoyed pasta carbonara as a supper option. He requested it again a couple of months ago when we had bacon in the house and I put it on the menu because I realized that my menus lately had been favoring my tastes over his. Granted I do make the menu every week, do the shopping, and prepare most of the food, but he should probably get to have some of his favorites once in a while too.

This one is nice because it is definitely a true 30-minute meal or less. It takes the longest to just heat the water to boil the pasta. Then everything else is a breeze, especially since I use our microwave bacon cooker to do that so very quickly. The sauce coats the pasta well and holds onto the spaghetti shape. There is no need for bread with this pasta because the sauce holds on so well that there is nothing to soak up. I served it with a spinach salad since there is no vegetable in the pasta.

Normally when I cook pasta for supper there is too much pasta and we have some leftover, with this dish, there are no leftovers. The boys keep asking for more servings until the whole pan of carbonara is gone. The only complaint I get is, "Can I have more bacon on mine?" And the answer is, "Why yes, here is my bacon." I am the one picking things out of my supper and handing it around the table to the others. Let me tell you that doesn't happen very often, usually we moms are the ones who get to finish those unwanted items picked off of someone else's plate. It's kind of fun to be on the other side once in a while.

Timing: Recipe States: 30 minutes, My Actual Timing: 27 minutes,
Servings: Recipe States: 4 servings, Servings For My Family: 5 servings
Leftovers: I'm not sure, we never have any.


Family Ratings:
Me: This is not my favorite, but I can eat it as long as I can pick out the bacon.
Hubby: If bacon were not so expensive Hubby would want this every week.
Big Man: Big Man asked for a third serving the night we had this.
Bear: More bacon is his cry, and can we have this one again! (A huge win!)
Mr. T: I want more of the bacon noodles is his opinion.

Will I repeat: Yes, I will repeat this one when I can find a sale on bacon.

What will I change: Do you think my family would notice if I left out the bacon?

Comments