National Crepe Day - 100 Days of Real Food


February 2 is celebrated as National Crepe Day and I used to make crepes more often than pancakes before the boys were born. I think they're so much more fun than pancakes because you can fill them and roll them up like a tortilla, but they have a bit of sweetness too. I would have them for breakfast with some vanilla yogurt and fruit. It was wonderful, a great breakfast! I have never made them with whole-wheat flour though and I was excited to try this.

The boys love pancakes, and so crepes sounded like something they would probably enjoy too. The recipe was easy enough to make up this morning before school while they were getting ready. I have made crepes and enjoy them a lot too. I had leftover strawberry sauce from making the ice cream and some strawberries. I topped the crepes with strawberry sauce and strawberries.

It ended up being a very successful experiment. The crepes worked out fantastically. They were light and fluffy. I was amazed too because usually, the first crepe is goopy and falls apart. In this case, they all turned out perfectly and they tasted great. I would have enjoyed them as a peanut butter and jelly roll-up, or with some turkey and cheese inside.

Next year perhaps I'll have to try making something more difficult like a crepe cake. Here is a beautiful example that looks like fun from Natasha's Kitchen. They seem so simple and complex at the same time, here is another that looks tasty at thesimplefare.

Timing: Recipe States: 45 minutes, My Actual Timing: 30 minutes, but I made a half batch
Servings: Recipe States: 3 or 4, Servings For My Family: 2, that were shared
Leftovers: I'm not sure, we didn't have any.


Family Ratings:
Me: They were wonderful, a fantastic breakfast. They would be great for lunch too.
Hubby:
Big Man: He had a stomach ache and didn't have any today.
Bear: He thought they were fine, but preferred a regular pancake.
Mr. T: He thought they were great and ate one just plain.

Will I repeat: Yes, I will make these again.

What will I change: Not a thing.

Comments