Baked Ultimate Birthday Cake - Baked Occasions


My middle son, Bear, has a great fondness for sprinkles. He likes them on cookies, cupcakes, ice cream, and doughnuts or any treats where they will stick. When the boys were really young and wanted to help cook we used to make what we called "Water Soup." Water soup was when I filled a saucepan with water and then let the boys put a few herbs, spices, and sometimes sprinkles in the pan. They would stir it up and pretend it was soup, and then they would taste it. They had a blast finding things to put into their soup.

I picked up this cookbook because I flipped through it in the store and really enjoyed the idea of the book, having special desserts for regular and irregular holidays. The stories behind each of the recipes are engaging and draw in the reader. The photos of the recipes are just beautiful and really make me want to try them all. I enjoy this kind of cookbook quite a lot. Making desserts is something I enjoy and when they are a little bit elaborate that makes it more fun for me. I like to try and master these types of recipes.

The book is arranged by months and dates where these desserts are made to celebrate a specific event. I have sometimes thought it would be fun to go through an entire year and make every recipe in this cookbook. Sometimes this would mean eating several desserts in very close succession, and someday I still may attempt this. For now, though, I think I will attempt one recipe per month.

When I got this cookbook, Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, and this Ultimate Birthday Cake was on the cover Bear was so excited about it he had to have it for his birthday. This also happens to be the very first recipe in the book. The book is full of recipes that are actually made in a bakery in New York City by the name of Baked. I have never been to the restaurant, but I hope to go if we ever visit New York City again. They opened January 1, 2005, and so this cake recipe is included in this cookbook as their birthday cake, this makes it a very appropriate cake for my middle son. We served it first at his fourth birthday, and have also had it for his fifth birthday celebration, and knowing my Bear, I think there is a good chance we will be making it again next fall when he turns six.

This is not one of the most complicated desserts in this book. It is a vanilla cake with sprinkles in the batter, with vanilla frosting and then decorated with copious amounts of sprinkles. The first time I made the cake, Bear asked several times to help put the sprinkles on his cake. I wasn't sure how late it would get when I was putting them on the night before his party, so I told him I would try to let him help. It did get late, and we actually put him to bed before I was icing the cake. Then when it was time to put the sprinkles on I went to check on him, and he had not fallen asleep yet, so he was a very thrilled boy when he got to come down in his pajamas and help top his cake with sprinkles. I don't think I have ever seen a bigger smile on his face. You could see how special he felt being allowed to stay up late and help finish his cake.

The cake is light and moist with a great vanilla flavor. The icing is also very vanilla flavored and complimentary to the cake. It is sweet but light and fabulous. The cake is rich with the icing and you don't need a large slice. It will certainly hit your sweet tooth and cure any sweet craving. I think I enjoy it as much as my children do, and I will certainly not be sad if I am making this cake again next fall for a birthday!






Timing: Recipe States: This book does not give timing., My Actual Timing: It takes me an afternoon to bake, cool, and ice this cake.
Servings: Recipe States: 12-14 servings, Servings For My Family: We get about 14 servings.
Leftovers: This cake is great for two days after it is made, we've never had it last longer than that after the family birthday party.


Family Ratings:
Me: I think this cake is moist and flavorful. It is a wonderful birthday cake.
Hubby: He is not a cake fan, but doesn't mind a couple bites of this one.
Big Man: He prefers chocolate cake, but won't say no to a piece of this at his brother's birthday party.
Bear: He has requested this twice for his birthday, pretty high praise!
Mr. T: He enjoys the cake, but usually eats the frosting first.

Will I repeat: Yes, I have already made this cake twice. I will probably make it again in the fall.

What will I change: Not a thing!

Comments