Whole-Wheat Tortillas from 100 Days of Real Food



So the first book I am going to work on trying some recipes from is 100 Days of Real Food by Lisa Leake. She first had a blog by the same name. I enjoy her blog a lot and thought the cookbook would have some fun recipes to try. It is important to me that I feed my family as healthfully as I can as well. I do not buy all organic foods and I do not follow all the real food rules all of the time. I do like to try and make many things from scratch and have fewer processed foods in our home. So this book is right up my alley.

A favorite meal at our house is taco night so I decided to try a couple of the recipes for tacos. From the Homemade Staples chapter, I tried the Whole-Wheat Tortillas. Full confession, I have actually made these before and in the past have enjoyed them with my tacos.

Here is my finished product. I followed the recipe as written for ingredients. I do not have a food processor so I used a hand pastry blender to mix in the coconut oil and then the water. This method worked just fine to make the dough.

Timing: The book estimated that it would take less than 45 minutes to make this recipe, and it ended up taking me 38 minutes, so the timing was accurate.
Servings: The book stated it will make 14 tortillas and I made 14 tortillas.
Leftovers: The tortillas work great the next day, just make sure to wrap them tightly.

Family Ratings:
Me: I like the texture of the tortillas and didn't think making them was too much of a hassle. I did not like the coconut flavor, however.
Hubby: He did not care for these at all and much prefers store-bought tortillas.
Big Man: He gobbled one down as quickly as possible and enjoyed it.
Bear: This usually picky eater, especially when something looks different, ate a whole one after all the rest of his supper.
Mr. T: The youngest one had one and the rest of his supper then he asked for another and ate half of it.

So, if you like a little bit of coconut flavor go for it. In this case, the recipe will not be repeated for our family. If the hubby enjoyed them more then I would try making them with butter instead of the coconut oil.


Comments