Whole-Wheat Banana Pancakes from 100 Days of Real Food


Yesterday was an unexpected snow day home from school for the boys. In our case, it was actually due to ice and blowing snow. Since we were home for the day and didn't have anything we needed to do we decided to have a pajama day and have fun. We got out the Nerf toys and had a battle throughout the house, we played Legos, and watched the Captain Underpants movie. It was a nice day with all the boys.

Before we started in on the fun, I thought that we would have some pancakes for breakfast. I tried the whole-wheat banana pancakes from the 100 Days of Real Food book. I almost always have bananas in my freezer for making banana bread, and the rest of the ingredients are always in the pantry.

Timing: The recipe reports 30 minutes for preparation and cooking. It took me about 27 minutes, so it was very accurate.
Servings: The recipe says there are 5 or 6 servings. It served my 3 boys and me with another serving leftover.
Leftovers: The leftovers were a little bit dry but very edible with some syrup or peanut butter.

One thing that is a big concern for my boys is the pancakes being fluffy. They prefer when I make pancakes over when Dad makes pancakes. He is a wonderful cook, but the one thing he can't make is fluffy pancakes. I was a little bit worried that with only whole-wheat flour that they would not be fluffy, but these were. They were fluffy and not at all dry. The banana was mashed well into the batter, but the boys could still pick out the banana flavor and were not pleased by it.


Family Ratings:
Me: I thought they were good pancakes and would eat them again.
Hubby: He had gone to work and did not eat them, and he is not a big fan of pancakes anyway.
Big Man: He ate them and seemed to enjoy them, however, he did request that we not have these again.
Bear: He took one nibble and didn't finish his first. He did not enjoy the banana flavor at all.
Mr. T: He ate them and didn't seem to notice anything different. I think he had enough peanut butter on his that he did not notice the banana flavor.

Will I repeat: I do not think I will ever use this recipe again as it is written in the book. I do like the idea of using all whole-wheat flour as I have said before.

Possible Changes: I would try the recipe again with a few modifications. I would leave out the bananas and try a little bit of honey to sweeten, or maybe use some apple or orange juice in place of some of the milk to add sweetness.

The recipe made good pancakes, they just were not a hit with my family.

Comments