Whole-Grain Pumpkin Muffins - 100 Days of Real Food

I had a MOPS meeting last week and my table group was in charge of bringing the food for our brunch. I signed up for a bread or pastry item and when I looked through the book I knew these muffins would be perfect. They are quick and easy and another item I have made from the cookbook many times. This recipe can be found on the original blog as well as in the book for anyone who is interested to try it

I used whole-wheat flour when I made these instead of the spelt flour that was an option. I have whole-wheat flour on hand so it was just easier. At some time I would like to try it with the spelt flour and see if it makes a difference in the texture and flavor of the muffins. I know that pumpkin spice is a fantastic fall flavor, but in our house, we use pumpkin all year round. It gets put in our oatmeal every morning and these muffins are a big hit at lunchtime. In fact, as I mentioned in a previous post our elementary school is nut free, so these muffins are often brought to school for lunches in place of a peanut butter sandwich.

These are one of the few lunch items that get an excited response from all of the boys. So it is easy to have these in the freezer and use them whenever necessary. If they get pulled out in the morning they are thawed by lunchtime. In the summer they work great for picnic lunches too.


Timing: Recipe States: 15 minutes prep time, My Actual Timing: right at 15 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 12 standard size muffins, Servings For My Family: a double recipe gave 12 standard muffins and 24 mini muffins
Leftovers: These are fabulous when fresh and very good after they've been frozen too.


Family Ratings:
Me: I enjoy these as the main part of a meal, or as a side dish.
Hubby: He is not a big bread eater and usually takes leftovers for lunch, so he does not go for these muffins.
Big Man: He thinks they are great and enjoys taking these and many other kinds of muffins for lunch to school.
Bear: If a pan of these comes warm out of the oven Bear is one of the first to ask for one.
Mr. T: The youngest is happy to have these and is usually very excited to help make them too.

Will I repeat: I already have and will continue to repeat this recipe often.

What will I change: Maybe someday I will try the spelt flour, but for now we enjoy them with the whole-wheat flour. I do know that it works well to double the recipe since I do that often.


Comments