Strawberry Ice Cream Day - Berry Sauce and Homemade Berry Ice Cream from 100 Days of Real Food

Today is National Strawberry Ice Cream Day and I am going to make the berry ice cream recipe from 100 Days of Real Food to continue the experiment with the book. All the boys love ice cream and strawberries, so I am hoping the combination will be a hit with them. Ice cream is also one of my favorite desserts and I am looking forward to trying this one too.



First I had to make a berry sauce to be able to turn the vanilla ice cream base into a strawberry ice cream base. It was very quick and easy to make and had great strawberry flavor. I used frozen strawberries for this sauce. I'm sure it would be great made with any kinds of berries

Timing: It took just as long as the recipe stated to complete this, less than 10 minutes.
Servings: It also provided 2/3 cup of sauce just as it stated.
Leftovers: The sauce was great right away and after it had cooled.


Family Ratings:
Me: I thought the strawberry sauce was wonderful. There are so many things I could put it on, ice cream, waffles, crepes, the possibilities are endless.
Hubby: He did not try it this time.
Big Man: He enjoyed the sauce a lot and wanted to put more on his ice cream.
Bear: He has not yet tried it.
Mr. T: He wanted to eat the sauce straight out of his spoon.

Will I repeat: I will definitely repeat this on many occasions.

I do not see a need to make any changes to this recipe.

Today about half an hour before we usually have an afternoon snack I got out the strawberry sauce I made yesterday and finished the homemade ice cream recipe as written. It was done in plenty of time for our snack this afternoon.

Timing: The timing of the ice cream was just as predicted at 30 minutes.
Servings: The recipe states 4 to 5 servings. It served 3 of us today and left extra for at least 2 more generous servings.
Leftovers: I have not had leftovers yet, but I assume just as the recipe states it will be very similar to what we had today if I let it thaw for a few minutes before serving.


Family Ratings:
Me: I thought the creaminess and mouthfeel of the ice cream are great. It is not as sweet as I usually expect ice cream to be and that was okay. I was disappointed with the amount of strawberry flavor. I felt like the strawberry did not come through at all until I put more strawberry sauce on top.
Hubby: He did not try any, Hubby is not big into sweets or strawberries.
Big Man: He was very excited to try this. Strawberries and ice cream are some of his favorites. Right away after the first bite he was disappointed because he couldn't taste the strawberries, so he added sauce as well. Even with more sauce, he was still asking for more. I think it would take time for him to get used to the difference between this less sugar recipe and what he is used to.
Bear: He did not try the ice cream, he can be very particular about his flavors and I don't force them to try sweets if they do not want to.
Mr. T: He ate it no problem. He wanted to add sauce to his because Big Man and I added sauce to ours so he did, but I think he would have eaten it all either way.

Will I repeat: I may repeat this because I enjoy a good homemade ice cream recipe, but I will make some changes. I would probably try the chocolate version next and see how it differs as far as flavor goes.

What will I change: In the future, I would try doubling the amount of berry sauce I added to the recipe to start. Since the berry sauce is just berries and maple syrup I do not feel bad about adding more to the ice cream.

Here is some inspiration from a favorite dessert blog of mine, Sugar Hero, for another strawberry ice cream dessert to try:
Strawberry Lemonade Ice Cream Pie - an easy and refreshing ice cream pie in a graham cracker crust! | From SugarHero.com

What are your favorite strawberry ice cream recipes?



Comments