My Dad's (Brown Rice) Risotto - 100 Days of Real Food


I made the overnight slow cooker chicken stock with the chicken bones that I had from the slow cooker chicken that I made. Since I do not eat chicken broth by itself I used it to make the recipe listed as My Dad's (Brown Rice) Risotto. I really like how the recipes in this book can follow each other and not leave waste. This recipe, in particular, uses the stock that was made from leftovers of a previous recipe and it states to use 1 1/4 cups cooked veggies. Nothing specific, so it could be another leftover to get used up. I call this a huge win!

The recipe worked great. I had never used quick-cooking rice of any kind before, so I was a little bit leery about using it. It worked really well. The risotto had a great creamy texture and was not too crunchy. I used carrots, corn, and mushrooms in our risotto because it is what I had on hand in the refrigerator.

Unfortunately, I was the only one in the house that enjoyed this dish. Hubby didn't particularly like the flavor, I think it might be because as I stated in the post about the slow cooker stock, he did not like the smell of the stock at all. That meant that I got to eat all the leftovers for the next week. It was great reheated as leftovers too.


Timing: Recipe States: 45 minutes, My Actual Timing: 45 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 4 servings, Servings For My Family: 5 to 6 servings
Leftovers: The leftovers tasted great for the next week.


Family Ratings:
Me: I really enjoyed the risotto, it was creamy, savory, and a great one pot dinner.
Hubby: He did not like it at all and requested to never see this one again.
Big Man: He ate it, but as little as possible.
Bear: He complained a lot, but ending up eating his whole dinner.
Mr. T: The youngest ended up going to bed early because he couldn't finish his dinner.

Will I repeat: I will not make this one again since no one else will eat it.

What will I change: I don't think I would change anything in the recipe except maybe different vegetables. It just wasn't the right one for my family.

Comments