Homemade Granola Cereal - 100 Days of Real Food


Most days I have oatmeal for breakfast and have been doing this for several years. Sometimes though, and especially in the summer when it's warm, I like to have cold cereal. So many of them are processed and have extra ingredients in them, so I wanted to try this granola cereal and see what my kids and I thought.

We all thought it was great. The sweetness that came from the honey was just right, not too much. The cinnamon and nutmeg were great for flavor. It was nice to have such a versatile recipe where I could pick whichever nuts I wanted to put into it based on my preferences or whatever I had on hand. It was so easy and quick to stir everything together and then just bake it. Bear and Mr. T were my helpers and got everything into the bowl and stirred up nicely for me. It made the house smell wonderful while it was baking too with the warm scent of the spices.

After letting it cool we all had to try a taste and just plain it was great. Crunchy with a touch of sweetness. We have tried it as cereal in a bowl with milk, on top of our oatmeal, and on top of yogurt. We have not found a bad way to eat it yet. Another time I may even try adding some dried fruits to the mix to see how that tastes. This is a great alternative to oatmeal on those warmer mornings!

Timing: Recipe States: less than 20 minutes prep time, My Actual Timing: 15 minutes prep time
Servings: Recipe States: 3 pounds, Servings For My Family: about the same as a box of cereal
Leftovers: This cereal is great for several weeks.


Family Ratings:
Me: A great choice for breakfast!
Hubby: He is not a big cereal eater.
Big Man: He really likes to put this on his oatmeal.
Bear: He also likes to put it on oatmeal, but would eat it just plain out of the box too.
Mr. T: The youngest likes to stir it into his yogurt best.

Will I repeat: I will make this again when we run out of our current supply.

What will I change: I may try a different combination of nuts and I may try adding some dried fruit.

Comments