Homemade Chicken Nuggets - 100 Days of Real Food


My boys love chicken nuggets so trying the chicken nugget recipe was necessary. In fact, if you ask Big Man he will say that chicken nuggets and french fries are his favorite food. It's nice to make favorites like this more wholesome and healthy. They are not the only ones who like chicken nuggets and french fries, Hubby and I enjoy them too. Once again, this recipe is also on the 100 Days of Real Food blog here.

These chicken nuggets were actually fried and not baked so the crispy fried flavor was there and it was good. It tasted much more healthy than anything you buy from a restaurant or get from the grocery store freezer. Since I fried them myself I could determine how much oil to use and watch them so they were not overdone and soaked up too much oil. I could taste the spices that were in the dredge for the nuggets instead of the grease.

This recipe took me a little while to make it, but I do not fry very often. So it always takes me extra time to make sure the oil is ready and I tend to fry in very small batches so that I don't burn anything. It ended up taking longer than the recipe told me that it should, but that's okay when it's a technique I don't use very often. It also may have taken longer because I used more than a pound of chicken. It ended up being 1.5 pounds so there would be enough for dinner and leftovers.

I also made our homemade baked french fries with them that I have been making for a long time. I don't really use a recipe for those. I just cut about 5 potatoes into small fry pieces and soak these pieces in cold water to get the extra starch off. Then I bake them spread out on a jelly roll pan in a 425-degree oven, drizzled with olive and sprinkled with chicken grill seasoning. It takes about 45 minutes to bake them until they are crispy. I turn them a few times during the baking.

Timing: Recipe States: less than 30 minutes, My Actual Timing: 40 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 4 servings, Servings For My Family: 5 for dinner, and 1 more large leftover
Leftovers: Hubby took the leftovers to work and reheated them. He said they were good, but certainly not as crisp when reheated in the microwave.


Family Ratings:
Me: I thought they were very good. Much better than the frozen chicken nuggets from the store, since I do not like those at all and will not eat them.
Hubby: He will eat the chicken nuggets from the store, but he said these have better flavor and taste much more healthy.
Big Man: He thought these were great and said we should have them more often.
Bear: Bear told me he didn't like these, but he ate his whole plateful without complaint and even asked for more. So I think him saying he didn't like them was just being contrary.
Mr. T: He gobbled them up so fast I'm not sure he tasted them until he was on his second helping. It's safe to say Mr. T is a fan of these chicken nuggets.

Will I repeat: I will definitely make these again. The whole family ate them with no complaint. That's a win for me every time!

What will I change: Not a thing!

Comments