Carrots with Rosemary - 100 Days of Real Food


My favorite vegetable has always been carrots. They can be cooked, raw, in soup or casserole, or stir-fried, I will eat them in any way. In fact, when I was younger and my mom was cooking any time she made carrots for supper she would say that she cut an extra one just because she knew every time I walked by the kitchen I would sneak one or two carrot slices to eat, and she would need that extra one she cut to have enough for supper. I think it is probably because of their natural sweetness and crunch. Now when I cook with carrots I tend to chop up more than I need because I know I will probably sneak a couple myself while I'm cooking, and so will Big Man or Mr. T. I can't say too much though since I did the same thing.

Most of the time when I am making carrots as a side dish with our dinner I steam them just a little bit and that is it. I thought it would be fun to try something new since several of us enjoy them so much. I do not usually salt them or add any herbs or seasoning. This recipe added salt and rosemary, so the carrots did have a more savory flavor. They were crisper than when I just steam them which was nice and the added seasoning did not overpower the carrots. They were very pleasant, and I would certainly eat them again but they did not wow me.

If carrots are not something you normally cook then I would definitely try this recipe because they are good and very simple to make. A very quick and easy side dish for any weeknight dinner that needs a serving of vegetables.

Timing: Recipe States: less than 15 minutes, My Actual Timing: 12 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: 6 side servings, Servings For My Family: 6 side servings was accurate
Leftovers: We did not have leftovers.


Family Ratings:
Me: The carrots were more savory than usual, and they were good.
Hubby: They were good, but nothing special.
Big Man: His first response was, "Why are the carrots salty?" He ended up thinking they were fine.
Bear: His response was, "Why do we have to have carrots?" He is not a fan of any vegetable except spinach. He ate his serving though, so palatable.
Mr. T: He saved his for the end, and ate them no problem, but didn't have a comment.

Will I repeat: I probably will not repeat this because steaming the carrots takes less effort on my part and less oil is used.

What will I change: I would not change anything.

Comments