Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Burritos - 30- Minute Meals



I have had the cookbook 30- Minute Meals by Rachael Ray in my cupboard for a long time, and there are a couple recipes that I have tried, but not enough of them. I enjoy Rachael Ray's recipes because she makes many family favorite recipes with a slight twist, but the ingredients are easy to find. They also do not take too long to cook, so they are great for a weeknight.

This was the first time I made these burritos. Taco night is always popular in our house and I thought that it would be good to try doing something just a little different for our taco night. I followed the recipe pretty closely, but I did make a change with the barbecue sauce that is suggested to be used on the chicken. I chose to use plain tomato sauce since there were already other seasonings on the chicken and neither myself nor all the boys like barbeque sauce.

Even though I had never made this recipe before it took me exactly 30 minutes to prepare it which was nice. We often have our tacos inside a flour tortilla as was suggested in this recipe. Tonight, however, we decided to skip the tortillas and serve it over lettuce as a taco salad instead. It's nice how versatile tacos and burritos are so that they can be made your own. This recipe was simple to execute and simple in flavor. It tasted fine but didn't excite us.

Timing: Recipe States: 30 minutes, My Actual Timing: I took exactly 30 minutes
Servings: Recipe States: makes 4 large burritos, Servings For My Family: It served all five of us and left some leftovers.
Leftovers:


Family Ratings:
Me: I thought there was a little bit of flavor on the chicken, but it needed a little something more.
Hubby: Hubby thought the chicken was fine, but he would have liked a little more kick.
Big Man: Big Man ate well and asked for seconds on the chicken and bean mixture.
Bear: Bear ate every bite with no complaints or whining, a big win!
Mr. T: Mr. T was tired tonight, but he managed to eat his serving without any trouble.

Will I repeat: I will probably not repeat this one since it didn't wow us, but I am ready to try more from this cookbook.

What will I change: I would add more spices and flavors if I were to make this one again.

Comments

Popular Posts